Hellenic Air Force Technical NCO Academy
The Greek spirit, creative and always pioneer, conceived with the myth of Dedalus man’s first effort to conquer the skies with the first aviator, Ikarus. Thousands of years later, Greek technicians, driven by the same concerns as those of Dedalus and without having considerable experience, maintained the first aircraft of their time. Those aircraft were used by Greek aviators in war missions during the Balkan Wars, for the first time in history.
In the years that followed and especially from 1930 to 1950, the graduates from the various Technical Academies offered significant services to the Air Force. Those technicians set the foundations on which the establishment of the Technical Non-Commissioned Officers Academy was based on. The Academy has been operating since 1949 and has offered the Air Force regular officers of eight different specialties annually.
The high technology of aircraft and ground means of the Air Force requires high level knowledge Technicians. The Academy meets this challenge with determination by continually updating educational programs, methods and means. Therefore the officers who graduate from the Technical NCO Academy have the necessary knowledge and are suitably prepared to effectively staff the Bases to which they are assigned. This way they fulfil their national duty as soldiers and technicians.
The mission of the Academy is to formulate proficient technical NCOs, in order for them to successfully meet the demanding obligations and the duties that they will be assigned to in the Air Force, which is a high technology organization.
The Academy Emblem
On the upper part of the shield the ancient maxim of the great historian Xenophon is written: «Σωφρονείν τε και ευτακτείν» (Translated: “Be sensible and compliant”). The remainder of the shield is occupied by the emblem divided into two sections, left and right.
On the left half the national emblem is partly-depicted, portrayed on the sides of the fuselage and on the wings of fighter aircraft and helicopters of the Air Force. There is also a lighted torch symbolizing the perpetual transmission of knowledge. They are on a blue background symbolizing the Hellenism and the color of our skies.
The right half depicts two instruments, a triangle and a compass/angle meter symbolizing the technical status of the Academy, as well as a propeller that is a symbol of the flying engine on which all required knowledge is implemented. This half of the emblem is on red background. Red is a symbol of the blood of the Academy graduates who died for the country.
The Academy is an independent unit of the Air Force (equivalent to a Group) and it is under the control of the Hellenic Air Force Training Command.
The organization and operation of the Academy is governed by the regulation of the Air Force Β-21/January 1990 published in the Official Government Gazette no36, 25-1-90 (second issue).
The Academy is located at the Dekeleia Air Base, Tatoi, at a distance of about 18 km from the City of Athens.
The Academy’s original headquarters from 1946 to 1999 was Dekelia Airport. After the destructive earthquake of 1999 and to-date, the Academy is sheltered at 128 Telecommunications & Electronics Training Group in Kavouri, whereas the laboratories and some support facilities are still in Dekelia. In 2009, the Academy returns to it's natural and historical grounds at Dekeleia Air Base.
Contact the Academy
You can contact the Academy via electronic mail: email@example.com
31/8/2012 - 16th Motorcycle Riding Safety Seminar
19/8/2012 - Injured man MEDEVAC by HAF Super Puma (video)
16/8/2012 - Minister of National Defence visit at 115 CW
10/8/2012 - Deputy Minister of ND visit at 112 CW
3/8/2012 - HAFA Command handover/takeover ceremony
2/8/2012 - HAFTC Command handover/takeover ceremony
1/8/2012 - HAFSC Command handover/takeover ceremony
31/7/2012 - HTAF Command handover/takeover ceremony
Hellenic Air Force
All Rights Reserved