The Hellenic Air Force Academy (HAFA) falls into the Exact and Technological Sciences’ Scientific Field.
The HAFA scope comprises:
- The production and transmittance of knowledge to its Cadets in terms of research and teaching the aviation science and technology as well as the relevant theoretical, exact and applied sciences.
- The development of military virtues and military discipline in order to mould officers of the Hellenic Air Force (HAF) with military and aviation consciousness, higher education as well as social, cultural and political instruction & conduct, providing them with all the capabilities that enable them to become competent leaders with comprehensive professional and scientific training.
- The organization, in common with the Universities, of Post-graduate Studies (PGS) and the conduct of scientific research in the fields that interest the Hellenic Air Force.
Academic Education comprises semi-annual and independent subjects and is implemented by attending teaching classes & lectures, by drawing up assignments and completing laboratory – practical tests, by participating in educational visits, by studying and by passing exams.
Studies at HAFA last at least four years.
Education at HAFA is divided in Educational Years. Each Educational year starts on September the 1st and ends on August the 31st, with vacations during Christmas and Easter as well as during the summer, according to HAFA’s needs. The Academic year has the same duration as the Educational Year and is organized in two 6-month semesters.
Each Academic semester comprises at least thirteen (13) teaching weeks and two weeks for the exams.
The Supreme Military Educational Institution (SMEI) personnel consists of:
- Teaching Research Personnel (TRP)
- Military Teaching Personnel (MTP)
- Special and Laboratory Teaching Personnel (SLTP)
- Special Technical Laboratory Personnel (STLP)
- Teaching Personnel under Contract Status (TPuCS)
The TRP carries out the teaching and research work and comprises Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and Lecturers. The Professors and the Associate Professors are elected as Permanent Personnel.
The MTP carries out teaching-educational work and comprises Officers, on active service or retired, of the Armed Forces, the Coastguard or the Security Forces, who hold at least SMEI or University degrees.
The SLTP carries out special or laboratory teaching work at SMEI and assists, in general, the TRP with the conduct of its teaching work.
The STLP provides specialist technical laboratory services in order to render the conduct of the SMEI teaching and research work effective.
The HAFA’s departments are as follows:
- Department of Leadership Command, Human Sciences & Physiology
- Department of Mathematics – Natural Sciences
- Department of Aerodynamics – Flight Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, Material Technology, Production Organization
- Department of Aeronautical Engineering, TEchnical Engineering, Construction Tests – Infrastracture Works
- Department of Informatics & Computers
- Department of Thermodynamics, Propulsive & Energy Systems
- Department of Electronics, Electric Power, Telecommunications
- Department of Automatic Control, Aerospace Technology, Defence Systems & Operations
In order to provide training for HAF’s future Officers, the Hellenic Air Force Academy (HAFA) operates the Department of Aviation Sciences with the following specializations:
- Air Defense Controllers (this department may accept the students from the Pilots’ Department, in case of loss of their Flying Competence in the 2nd or 3rd year of studies, as defined in the HAFA’s Organization and according to HAF’s needs).