Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot
“Mοχθείν ανάγκη ευτυχείν” (To Reach Happiness, One Needs to Work Hard)
NCAGE Code: G0978
The Unit is located at Elefsina Air Base.
Air Force Support Command
The Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot’s mission is to perform inspections, maintain and improve the standards of weaponry systems and assets belonging to the Hellenic Air Force (HAF). It is also there to conduct extensive research for the construction and reconstruction of assets and other systems at the units that subordinate under the HAF, while in addition, it provides technical support to units and other third parties.
The Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot was established in 1925 and based at Palaio Faliro, following the decision guided by Eleftherios Venizelos, in cooperation with the British BLACKBURN Company. It was State-controlled and its purpose was to manufacture and maintain operational and training aircrafts of that time.
Between 1926 and 1929, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot manufactured the first Vellos-type Propellered-Hydroplane for the Naval Air Force, ten (10) ATLAS Aircraft Bombers and ten (10) Auro Tutor training aircrafts.
In 1938, the Hellenic Government assumed full control over the factory.
In 1939, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot manufactured the first all-metal PZL Ρ-24 aircraft, which was used in World War II in 1940. At the same time, the unit designed and began to manufacture ninety (90) HENSCHEL-type aircrafts, which later came to a halt, due to Greece’s involvement in the war.
Following World War II, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot assumed the maintenance of the majority of aircraft weaponry equipment belonging to the HAF.
In 1952, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot joined the 30th Air Support Command and in 1957, it was renamed into the State Airplane Factory.
Between 1948 and 1971, the following Annexations were established: The Motorcycle-Car Equipment Repair Center at the Faliro Military Base (1948), the Telecommunications-Electronic Means Plant at Eliniko (1959) and Aeroengynes in Elefsina (1971).
In 1961, the Motorcycle-Car Equipment Repair Center became a subordinate of the 202nd Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot.
In 1974, all units were renamed into factories and became a part of the 202nd Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot, which was located at Palio Faliro.The Hellenic Aerospace Industry, following its establishment, took over a part of the unit’s staff and work load.
From 1979 until 1981, the unit’s activities at Palaio Faliro and Elefsina were relocated to Elliniko.
In 1982, the unit was restructured according to the HAF Unit Standards, following the repeal of the Board of Command and the replacement of the Commander by the Director-General.
In 1984, the 202nd Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot was restructured, under the new organizational form and operation of factories, equivalent to the Groups that subordinate under the 202nd Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot General Staff.
In 1987 the 202nd Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot General Staff was repealed, while all factories became independent facilities and subordinates to the AFSC under the following titles:
- Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot
- Aeroengyne Factory
- Transportation & Machinery Factory
- Telecommunications-Electronic Means Plant
The HAF Chemical Laboratory became a subordinate to the Aeroengyne Factory.
In 1991, the Aeroengyne Factory and the Transportation & Machinery Factory merge under a new command and organizational structure with the following title: Aero and Special Operations Vehicles Factory. All monitoring services, performance activities and workshops were relocated from Elefsina to Elliniko.
In 1999, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot assumed the manufacturing and maintenance of the Pegasus UAV Drones.
In 2002, due to the shortening of the Elliniko runway, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot received its last aircraft to maintain, which was an F-4E aircraft.
At the same time, the procedural inspections and repairs of the AB-205 and B-212 helicopters continued.
In 2003, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot assumed the role of inspecting and repairing the Super Puma helicopters, the procedural inspection of the T-41 aircrafts, equivalent to 3000 hours, the procedural B1 Check inspection of the C-27J aircrafts, while it also provided technical support to all the air assets belonging to the HAF.
In 2009 the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot assumed the role of maintaining the PLZ M-18 aircrafts.
In May of 2009, following the abolition of the 129 Support Wing, the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot assumed the role of supporting the Elliniko Air Force Base and the surrounding units.
In 2012 the factory’s relocation procedures to the Elefsina Air Force Base began.
In October 2013, the Aeroengyne Factory and the Transportation & Machinery Factory’s services came to a halt, as their activities merged with those of the Hellenic Air Force Aircraft Depot at the Elefsina Air Force Base.
Address : Elefsis AFB, Attiki Postal Code: 19200