“Xείρες αμύνειν εισί καί ημίν” (We too have the power to defend ourselves)
And Aeas (Ajax) came on with long strides, and was first to challenge him:
“Good sir, draw nigh; wherefore seekest! thou thus vainly to affright the Argives? In no wise, I tell thee, are we ignorant of battle, but by the evil scourge of Zeus were we Achaeans subdued. Verily, thy heart hopeth, I ween, to despoil our ships, but be sure we too have hands to defend them“.
(Homer, Iliad N 809-14; Loeb, by A.T. Murray)
Sedes Air Base
Hellenic Tactical Air Force
The mission of the 350 Guided Missile Wing, is to maintain efficiency and readiness to a high standard with the appropriate organization, personnel training and maintenance of the assets and systems provided for, in order to assume and successfully carry out Defence Operations with the accomplishment of active Air Defence Operations whenever required and according to plans in force.
- 1960 : In May the 350 “NIKE” Squadron was formed with four Firing Batteries and personnel trained in the USA. In November same year, after the delivery of means and materials from overseas, the squadron started to operate in an 8-hour base, while in September of 1961 and after the NATO’s successful evaluation, was set in a 24/7 operational activity.
- 1964 : In July, the unit was included in the NATO nuclear forces, after a successful Nuclear Safety evaluation.
- 1966 : In July the 350 “NIKE” Squadron was renamed to 350 “NIKE” Group, while their Batteries were renamed to Squadrons.
- 1987 : In March, 4th, “NIKE” Squadron was deployed to Skiros island, to cover HTAF operational requirements.
- 1989 : In January, the Group was completely released from the NATO nuclear section and since then it uses only conventional weapons.
- 1999 : In January, the 350 “NIKE” Group was upgraded to 350 Guided Missile Wing.
- In January 1999, the 350 Group “NIKE” was modernized to 350 Guided Missile Wing(GMW), after the Greek Government’s decision to procure the new sophisticated long range anti-aircraft missile system, replacing the older Ground to Air System “NIKE – HERCULES”.
- In September 1999, 21st, 22nd, 23rd Guided Missile Squadrons, 1st Coordination and Intelligence Center, Guided Missile Maintenance Squadron and Training Squadron were established.
- In January 2002 24th, 25th, 26th Guided Missile Squadrons (GMS) and 2nd Coordination and Intelligence Center were established.
- In 2002, the old leased PAC II System started being replaced by the new PATRIOT PAC III Weapon System.
- In July 2005, the relocation of 350GMW to Sedes Air Base in Thessaloniki was accomplished.
- In November 2005, the relocation of 26th GMS to 114 Combat Wing in Tanagra Air Base was accomplished.
- In July 2006, the relocation of 1st Coordination and Intelligence Center to 114 Combat Wing in Tanagra Air Base was accomplished.