Hellenic Air Force History Museum is located at Paleo Faliro, in Athens.
123 Technical Training Group
The mission of the Hellenic Air Force Museum is to record, document and promote the History and tradition of the Hellenic Air Force, in order to preserve the historical memory and disseminate the aviation values.
The Hellenic Air Force Museum cooperates with the Hellenic Committee on Military History and, subsequently, with the International Committee on Military History, participating in the organization and attendance of conferences and other activities.
In 1950 a section of A’ Branch of the Hellenic Air Force General Staff was established, named “War Exhibition Section”. Since before 1949, Officers that had participated in Second World War received orders to compile war reports, in order historical records to be kept. The monitoring of editing, keeping and submitting Units’ calendars was assigned to Operations Directorate.
The War Exhibition Section was decommissioned in August 1956 and a new one was established, under the command of A’ Branch’s Chief.
The new Sector was responsible for:
- Collecting the necessary information, in order to compile the annual historical report according the activities in peace and war of Hellenic Royal Air Force.
- Monitoring, cogitating and drawing conclusions based on Units’ calendars.
- Publishing historical descriptions of the development and action of the Hellenic Royal Air Force in the past.
- Gathering information and issuing of certificates
In 1961 the War Exhibition Section became War Exhibition Directorate and in 1962 renamed to History Exhibition Directorate under the command of A’ Branch’s Chief firstly and secondly under the command of B’ Branch of the Hellenic Air Force General Staff, including History, Photography Sector, as well as general records.
In 1974 the Hellenic Air Force Records Service was established, with the task of collecting, sorting and keeping all records of the Hellenic Air Force, as well as collecting and preserving museum’s material.
In 1983 the Directorate of History was formed as History Office, under the command of Deputy Chief Staff of the Hellenic Air Force. In 1987 Office of History, the Office of organization of the Hellenic Air Force Museum and the Hellenic Air Force Records Service were consolidated and constituted an administratively independent Unit under the heading of Hellenic Air Force History Service, under the command of Public Relations Directorate of the Hellenic Air Force. The Service operated with two main Offices, the Office of History and the one of Records, since the Office of organization of the Hellenic Air Force Museum became an independent Unit located in Dekelia, the current Museum of the Hellenic Air Force.
Since May 2005, the Hellenic Air Force History Service had been incorporated as a Directorate of the new Unit, which was then formed as the Hellenic Air Force History Museum.