Wings on a star
Call Sign: STAR
115 Combat Wing – Souda Air Base
- F-16 C/D Block 52+
The mission of the 340 Squadron is to maintain a high level of readiness and effectiveness, in order to conduct successful air operations, whenever needed in accordance with current plans. It is achieved by the appropriate organization, training of personnel and maintenance of the available means and systems.
In September 1955, the 343 Squadron was established at Elefsis Air Base, with F-86E Sabre aircraft in role of day interception.
In November 1956 the Squadron was redeployed to Tanagra Air Base, where it stayed until May 1958. Thereafter it was relocated to Nea Anchialos Air Base.
In 1961 the F-86E aircraft were replaced by F-86D and the Squadron role changed to “All weather Interception”.
In March 1966, it was equipped with the F-5A/B Freedom Fighter aircraft and was charged with the “Day Intercept” as the primary role and the “Fighter-Bomber” as the secondary.
In July 1974 the Squadron returned to 113 Combat Wing where remained until June 1985, when it was relocated to Nea Anchialos Air Base.
In July 1987 returned to 113 Combat Wing and remained until March 2001, when its suspension.
On July 21st 2003, the 343 Squadron reentered in operational status with F-16 Block 52+ C/D aircraft, at Souda Air Base.